Wednesday, January 25, 2012

thai curry

this is my version of thai curry- cobbled together from various recipes I've found. I'm not sure how authentic it is but it's the closest I've been able to get. I will soon find out the secret at the Thai curries class A- and I are going to!

Saute:
2 tablespoons butter
half of 1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped

When onions and garlic are soft, add:
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger 
2 lbs boneless chicken (thighs or breasts), diced

Cook until chicken begins to brown, then add:
4 stalks lemongrass, green tops removed then pale ends finely chopped (can sub lemon and lime zest and juice of 1/2 lemon although lemongrass tastes best)
other 1/2 of onion (optional)
5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 can coconut milk (don't use light)
1-2 t red pepper flakes (2 is a little hot for me but right in A-'s wheelhouse)
1 tablespoon coriander
1/4 lime
1/4 lemon (optional)
mix of fresh vegetables (I've used potatoes, red pepper, green pepper,red cabbage, carrots, and yellow squash)

Simmer until sauce thickens and vegetables are done, stirring occasionally.



No comments:

Post a Comment